Cooperation Triangle between Costa Rica, Morocco and Germany
In 2013, Costa Rica, Morocco and Germany started a cooperation project to strengthen sustainable management and use of forests, protected areas and river basins in the context of climate change.
This program has received a great deal of political support from the governments of the countries involved. The institutions and members have a high property level compromised.
Thanks to the three involved countries that made the implementation of this project possible, and to the active participation from national organizations done in the following way:
- Germany has supported the project implementation endured en two countries, financed by German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) through the triangular cooperation initiatives carried out regionally in Latin America and the Caribbean; administrated by colleagues of the German international cooperation agency for sustainable development (GIZ) with the BMZ project: Mediterranean basin, in collaboration with FAO Silva Mediterranean (CPMF) based in Rabat.
- In Costa Rica Fundecooperación para el Desarrollo Sostenible is the focal point in alliance with the Ministry of Environment and Energy, in cooperation with relatives institutions and organizations like the National System of Conservation Areas (SINAC), National Forestry Financing Fund (FONAFIFO), Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT), Chancelor, Planning Ministry (MIDEPLAN), Advisory Committee of Land Degradation (CADDETI) and the Foundation for the Development of the Central Volcanic Range (FUNDECOR).
- In Morocco, the high Commission for Water, the Forests and combat Deforestation were the focal points supported and in cooperation with relevant institutions and active organizations in the field of sustainable forest management and the sustainable use of the forest products and services in context with climate change.
This cooperation was executed throughout each county’s experience exchange, in order to strengthen and homogenize the triangular cooperation. The activities were made by the following method:
- Based on Morocco’s experience, pilot projects were realized in Costa Rican water basins. On the other side, the national initiatives to prevent ?forest fires were adjusted and consolidated.
- In Morocco, Costa Rica’s experience formed the basis for pilot projects that helped to protect the biodiversity in the national parks of Souss Massa and Toubkal. At the same time, the ecotourism and the further development of sustainable value chains improved the socioeconomic situation of the local population.
- Costa Rica’s experience with payments for environmental services of forests improved the development of the Initiative Forestal Association of Morocco and the finance system.
- Germany contributed with their experience acquired through the bilateral development cooperation, specifically over the methodology and organization.
This cooperation experiences have been shared with other Arabic States and North-African.